Atami (熱海市) is a city located in the eastern end of Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan, forty minutes by bullet train from Tokyo. While it is much more famous for being a hot spring city, it is also home to a shipwreck and a few dive-able reef spots. The area of Atami was chosen due to the ideal location, the city is well connected by trains and highways to the large metropolitan areas in Japan. The sites themselves are just a five minute boat ride from the Atami harbour. Project Baseline Atami aims to monitor and document the Asahi 16 Go wreck. We plan on using temperature sensors to track temperature changes along with detailed photography of specific areas of the wreck. As the project develops, we’d like to expand our efforts to include the reefs also in the Atami area.
By bullet Train Shinkansen (Kodama) 40 minutes or Local Tokaido line 2hours from Tokyo.
From Atami station 10 minutes by walk or taxi.
Project Baseline Station Recording
Station in Atami is bow of the wreck “Asahi 16 Gou”
Date：MM/DD/YYYY Time(24-hr clock)
Image Credit Name：
- Secure position at Station, maintain control of buoyancy and trim
- Move into position for image capture of feature
- Ensure image will be captured as established in the PB database for your Project
- Capture a minimum of one image per target
- Record depth at Station
- Record temperature at Station
- Record visiblity estimate from Station in the direction of feature